Homestuck RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Train Race
by DistantRed Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:40 pm

» Late Christmas and New Years
by blueblazing Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:49 am

» Introductions
by blueblazing Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:24 am

» a year later
by twistedMusician Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 pm

» An Old Admin Returns
by tlo Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:57 pm

» Garrbear's Pet Care
by DistantRed Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 am

» hey folks welcome back
by twistedMusician Mon May 11, 2020 2:21 am

» this place is a graveyard
by Derpy Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:28 pm

» RP for all times sake? Anyone alive? :P
by BurdenKing Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 pm

» session VIЯUS; 1/4 spots open!
by WestSpiderKing0270 Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 am

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 80 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own.

3 posters

Go down

Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own. Empty Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own.

Post by Trevoor Wed May 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Simply put, I still very new and I've recently tried making a roleplay topic of my own, but I'm having issues getting others to join, I'm also nervous about trying to manage it and need some honest advice. If anyone could spare some advice and wisdom for all of this it'd be greatly appreciated!
Trevoor
Trevoor
Downtown Upstart

Gemini Posts : 450
Boondollars : 18828

Back to top Go down

Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own. Empty Re: Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own.

Post by V.M.P. Thu May 08, 2014 4:02 pm

I think...the best thing to do is be confident and remember that confidence dosen't mean being a dick, unless you're an ironic dick like me, also remember. No god moding and describing the result of an attack to another person.
V.M.P.
V.M.P.

Slanty Red Text

Boondollars : 19537
My Pet : gamlam

Back to top Go down

Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own. Empty Re: Need advice for having a Roleplay of my own.

Post by Trevoor Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Alright, while most of that would be common sense it does mean a lot to receive some sort of help, thank you...
Trevoor
Trevoor
Downtown Upstart

Back to top Go down

Post by Thebluemage Thu May 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Hey man, I got to say that a really big thing to remember is to /start small/. I've seen plenty of really, really good roleplays be ruined because the GM is just overstretched with 8, 10, 14, and even one time 18 people in their RP. For a homestuck RP, I'd suggest going with 4 characters. It's the best number, that way there will be 3 other characters for someone to interact with and you can still get a lot of fun drama and shenanigans.

I'd also suggest not playing a character while being the GM. It takes your focus away from ironing out plot details. That doesn't mean you get the short end of the stick, though. You can play all sorts of fun NPCs and Antagonists like Jack Noir or the White Queen.

Don't forget to ask a willing player for help if you feel overstretched with too many NPCs. That goes to the next point, try not to get overstretched in the first place! Carefully calculate all your actions in the plot to ensure that it is going somewhere. Just like when writing a story, never do something if it doesn't further the plot.

Now that's my advice to you. As a GM myself I can tell you that while it can be a very taxing and headache inducing process, it can be a whole bucket full of fun, and I'm glad more folks around here are stepping up and making RPs! Good luck, mate! Pleasant 
Thebluemage
Thebluemage
Nipper Cadet

Taurus Posts : 189
Boondollars : 15920

Back to top Go down

Post by Trevoor Thu May 08, 2014 7:25 pm

Thank you very much, I've already set up a no more than eight rule (Though the way things are looking it's be a miracle if I get four) but I'll be sure to try and limit that down some for safety's sake. I'm still nervous but that's more than enough to get my started I hope.
Trevoor
Trevoor
Downtown Upstart

Back to top Go down

Post by Thebluemage Thu May 08, 2014 7:31 pm

No problem, mate.

Another thing, though, even if you're nervous, you have to be strict when it comes to character quality. Don't let just anyone in, after all. If you're ever going to run an RP, especially on sites like the MSPA Fourms, that rule will be important.

And what's this RP called, if you don't mind me asking.
Thebluemage
Thebluemage
Nipper Cadet

Taurus Posts : 189
Boondollars : 15920

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down