Homestuck RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Train Race
by DistantRed Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:40 pm

» Late Christmas and New Years
by blueblazing Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:49 am

» Introductions
by blueblazing Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:24 am

» a year later
by twistedMusician Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:11 pm

» An Old Admin Returns
by tlo Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:57 pm

» Garrbear's Pet Care
by DistantRed Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:05 am

» hey folks welcome back
by twistedMusician Mon May 11, 2020 2:21 am

» this place is a graveyard
by Derpy Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:28 pm

» RP for all times sake? Anyone alive? :P
by BurdenKing Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 pm

» session VIЯUS; 1/4 spots open!
by WestSpiderKing0270 Tue May 14, 2019 9:06 am

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 80 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Titles and Theories and Things

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Titles and Theories and Things - Page 2 Empty Re: Titles and Theories and Things

Post by TheChaotic1 Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Really though, I don't think there are true opposite elements, just ones that are more different. Its just a fun thought to entertain.

What are your thoughts on the god tier shoe swaps?
TheChaotic1
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Gemini Posts : 1329
Boondollars : 23825
My Pet : Blue Dragon Hatchling
My /Other/ Pet : EYES

Back to top Go down

Titles and Theories and Things - Page 2 Empty Re: Titles and Theories and Things

Post by maieuticEpimenides Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm

EVERY THOUGHT IS A JOY TO ENTERTAIN.

And oh, the shoes! I thought it was interesting, but can't the god-tiered players change their outfits based on preferences? Maybe it's just what looks nice. Like, a god-tiered Terezi would have a pretty good chance of getting her hands on some candy red shoes. Maybe she'd even start out with them because it's just her! And I've always thought that that could be it.

It's certainly plausible, though! I just don't have much to say right now about it. Which is a wonder, truly.

I am interested in the dynamic of players of the same class, though! They generally don't seem to get along too well at the start, but sometimes start to... relate to each other over time. Like Karkat and Dave. And let's throw in Latula, too! Karkat has a terrible opinion of this here troll girl, but he's got an interesting insight into her character! You might say that he understands her. Where she's coming from. And Vriska and Meenah go from the Ministrife to braiding each other's hair and being all friendly and everything.

I could go on more and in more depth, but it's DINNERTIME. Oh, well.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Leo Posts : 384
Boondollars : 19727

Back to top Go down

Post by TheChaotic1 Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm

I read up on the shoes, they are a shipping joke by hussie, the pairs of shoes represent shipping compatibility
TheChaotic1
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:41 pm

I went back and looked at the panel with the doomed timeline god tier Feferi.

doomed!Feferi <3 doomed!Nepeta is now my OTP. It's official. EVERYTHING SUDDENLY MAKES SENSE.

(Not really. I don't really ship characters, most of the time. But the declaration has been made. There is no going back. doomed!Feferi and doomed!Nepeta, inspired by the adorableness of Fefetasprite, will form a solid and adorable matespritship that will last for all of eternity. They will be hone their cuteness together in the dreambubbles until they have amassed all the cute -- ALL OF IT -- and none is left for the rest of the poor ghosts. Except no one will care because this is all just one huge weird joke that is going absolutely nowhere.)

EDIT: But wait! I just realized. Maybe this is what it's all about, when you get down to it. This is the headcanon to end all the rest of my headcanons, or something. This is my... ONE TRUE HEADCANON. Yes. My existence has been given purpose. I can die happy now.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by goldenCrown Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:20 pm

Oh my gosh, the shoes. :D fartymuckmuddydoL did a headcanon post about the shoes. I never noticed the matching shoe colors until I read it. I thought it was hilarious! Well, I noticed the matching shoes for Light and Breayh, but I thought that was it. I kind of thought it was something like which aspects worked best together. Or maybe even which aspects worked worst together. I don't know, I'm not good with interpretations.
goldenCrown
goldenCrown
Sepulchritude

Boondollars : 21066
Location : Land of Rain and Trees/Land of Water and Silence/Land of Crystal and Shadowed Frogs/Land of Gust and Glow/Land of Clocks and Bubbles
My Pet : karkat llama
My /Other/ Pet : actual baby dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm

I generally consider classes more indicative of compatibility than aspects, in all seriousness. Like the Knights and Seers. And the Thieves and Sylphs. Those are the two pairs of classes that I can think of, off the top of my head. Aspects are weird and broad and hard to pin down exactly like that. Classes are way more specific, in a way.

I've just had a terrible idea! What if I... described ALL THE TITLES? ALL OF THEM? (Excluding Muses and Lords because that would be overkill.) I have time to kill. It'll be an amazing exercise in theorizing.

See, I generated a randomized list and everything to determine the order I'd do it in! Check it out. Two canons in the first five! Wow.

This will take an extraordinary amount of time. Odds are I'll give up halfway through. Oh my god this will be so fun. I have to do it. Let me hear your support, people! (Yeah, right. I'm going to do this whether you like it or not. I'm going to do this whether I like it or not. Because!)

THE LIST OF BEAUTY AND SLIGHTLY HORRIFYING EXPECTATIONS:

Last edited by maieuticEpimenides on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:31 pm

0_0 Well then....Go for it! I'm half looking forward to this and half wondering about how your sanity is going to fare whilst you're doing this but, you definitely have my support for whatever that counts I enjoyed reading the theories you posted here. b(^^)b

Back to top Go down

Post by Thales Nestis Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:28 pm

Maid Of Space would be my aspect :D
Thales Nestis
Thales Nestis
Admin

Scorpio Posts : 2828
Boondollars : 21594
My Pet : gay-llama
My /Other/ Pet : TheChaotic1scalemate

https://homestuckrole-play.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 pm

@kenosIntrovert: Your support is dearly recognized! :)
@Auriel Cordis: Maid of Space? Gah, I'll have to wait till number sixteeeeeeeen to get to that type of lovely lady. (I'm being patient and waiting because I can't have that much going on at once.) And I want to talk about Porrim! Porrim is cool. And the Dolorosa. Poot. I've never done any proper text-wallish Dolorosa theorizing before, you know. That'll be fun.

I think I'm going to describe them in terms of sessions. So I'll group the next four or six or twelve or whatever into a group and examine the chosen titles both individually and within the context of a session, because I think that's really important to consider--how players work with each other. S___b rewards teamwork and cooperation, after all.

First up are the first four on my list (surprising, right?): The Knight of Blood, Witch of Mind, Sylph of Breath, and Maid of Time! Now, two of these hypothetical players (I'll refer to them by number if that helps: 1 and 4) have titles seen in canon, but that doesn't mean they're, you know, the same. They could be, but who knows? It's more fun to come up with alternate interpretations of a title, though.

Anyway, because I decided it'd make it even more interesting, each session will be themed/structured around or challenged by something like a word from this here list. These are presumably quite random:

THE LIST OF WEIRD WORDS:

Number one is cerebrospinal, which means "of or relating to the brain and spine." Cool. It's brain time, guys. I wonder how that'll relate to this. Because I have absolutely no idea! Well, I do, but that's for later. I'm dividing this up into two different parts--one for individual profiling and another for describing the whole team, together, and how they might work with each other.

Now for an official-looking heading:

KNIGHT OF BLOOD/WITCH OF MIND/SYLPH OF BREATH/MAID OF TIME
THE CEREBROSPINAL SESSION
(Yes, I know it makes no sense!)

First in the set is automatically leader of the hypothetical group, so let's welcome the KNIGHT OF BLOOD.

Blood is about unity, bonds, society, relationships, and I'm going to say literal blood, too, because of Karkat. Knights are, according to Aradia (who I'd say is trustworthy because of sprite knowledge?), powerful warriors that exploit their aspect as a weapon. And if the similarities between characters are worth looking at, I'd say that a Knight often fears his/her aspect as well, usually putting up some kind of facade to hide this weakness. Or something. Knights are pretty insecure guys and gals.

Combining this, we basically get a player that uses his/her bonds/relationships/society to fight, but hiding some deep insecurity regarding these topics! This meant several things in the case of Karkat: Firstly, his actual, literal blood. As a mutant, he hid his blood color in order to avoid being culled; he physically hid behind gray text in fear that blood would get him in serious trouble. And here was that feeling that he worried about what his friends would think, too--he cares a lot about his friends and relationships, but locks this away behind his ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY ORNERY typing and creative insults (they are VERY creative! Karkat's insults are works of art!), possibly because, again, he worries a lot about what would transpire as a result. He really doesn't want anything to happen to the relationships he puts so much stock into! Karkat puts his friendships above everything else, and that's a defining aspect of his character, I think.

Our Knight of Blood doesn't have to be quite like that, though! If we focus on Blood-as-society as opposed to, for example, Blood-as-bonds, we get someone very different. He/she could be the big-picture-thinker of his/her session, perhaps contemplating and fearing the faults and issues of the society he/she was born into on the inside, but projecting an image of complete support for this imaginary planet/nation/universe/et cetera on the outside. They would work their team using a seemingly effortless, natural ability to grasp the players' strengths and weaknesses as a result of upbringing, and would navigate the complexities of social structures with ease. He/she would bring down enemies through exploiting their (the enemies') connections in society, too, bringing foes down with the weakness of bonds.

(This is when some people might start talking about class pairings and +Knight/Seer- but I maintain that I'm staying on track. Yes, I am. Go me. Go ME. Hey! Oh, right. My username is a joke unto itself. Beyond the abbreviation, too. Do you get it? Do you get it?! It's hard to describe without whipping out the text walls, though. Uh. Now I'm getting way off track. Aargh.)

The Knight's land would be something involving an obscuring effect and a representation of the aspect (Blood), like Pulse and Haze or Mist and Vessels or Fog and Chains or Smoke and Plasma. Those probably aren't the best examples, but there you have it. The aspect-related bit may tend to be leaning towards literal interpretations of Blood, but one canon example of a Blood player's land makes it difficult to assume! So stuff like Chains are presumably okay. Also, a side note: "Cells" as one of the two main land components works well, relating to jails and confinement and bonds of a sort (think the Sufferer and chains?), and also being sort of connected to bodily fluids.

But it's been a long day and I have to take a break. Tune in next time when I explain cerebrospinal and the rest of the classes in the group. And maybe talk a little bit more about the Knight of Blood. It depends.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by TheChaotic1 Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:03 pm

This seems pretty ambitious, I look forward to reading them, might not reply each time though
TheChaotic1
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 am

Okay, I'm back. And yes, this is really ambitious and very daunting when I think too hard about it! But hopefully it keeps me on a schedule and gives me something fun and interesting to do. Hopefully.

The second title in the group is the WITCH OF MIND, and let's all agree that that's simultaneously a pretty cool and a pretty scary title! Thankfully, this girl's going to be a cheerful one, friendly and enthusiastic like the rest of 'em.

(She doesn't necessarily stay that way!)

As the Witch of Mind, she's going to grow up with lots of her aspect around to influence her, so to speak. She'll have some big Mind-y figure as a guardian or lusus or something, probably an individual who can affect decisions and outcomes on a huge scale without much effort--an individual who she'll have to learn to understand and control, to some extent, if she doesn't want unnecessary damage to be done. As a result, our Witch will consider these decisions and consequences pretty important, and she might take an interest in these, too, with a comprehensive knowledge of law or a believer in karma. What you get is what you deserve.

In the game, her powers will most likely prove to be important. Witches seem to be comparatively weaker than other classes pre-god-tiering, but afterwards, this girl will be a force to reckon with. With a wave of her hand she can literally change someone's mind, playing games with choices and results without much effort. This power could go to her head, though, and her friends might be wind up having to take her down. I'm sure her guardian had always had some control and influence over her choices; being the manipulator rather than the manipulated could make her rather reckless!

Her land, since lands are fun to think of, will contain a) a Mind-related thing and b) a delicate material such as frost or glass, which may be hindering in some way. Since our sample size is pretty small, I'd think that this structure doesn't necessarily have to be followed--but there's a sort of feeling to it you'd want to keep. Like the Land of Choice and Silver, maybe. Not the best example there, but it's okay.

Player 3: The SYLPH OF BREATH

Sylphs are the magic fairies of S___b and the self-proclaimed healers (although the context of these statements are ever so fishy). Breath is about freedom, movement, direction, and wind.

The Sylph's natural disposition, of course, will be pleasant. Not one to get into fights. The spirit of Breath might render her a little silly, but for the most part this girl won't be a troublemaker. She's all about helping! Chances are most of her actions are of good intent, and she'll genuinely want to dish out the aid. She'd also be bound to express some amount of interest in her aspect--flight is going to thrill her, and she might also take an interest in objects of fantasy. And mail. She's the type to send lots of mail! She's most likely going to be the introverted type, though, and will prefer working independently over moving as a group.

In the game, the Sylph isn't going to display lots of power right off the bat, quite unlike classes such as the Heir and Knight. Her title would show through in subtler ways, perhaps in encountering WV's revolution - something she's sure to support (FREEDOM.) - or moving and directing her friends towards additional possibilities and such.

Her land would feature some representation of Breath, usually as a form of wind, as well as possibly some form of light or illumination. Land of Gales and Lamps. Gosh, that sounds silly! Lanterns might work better, or candles.

Player 4: The MAID OF TIME

Oh, Aradia. I like Aradia. Have you seen my avatar, perchance? She's cool.

But anyway, this girl (so many of them! This could be an all-female session) isn't necessarily going to be Aradia Megido. But there are going to be similarities.

Maids always start out passionate. They're always totally in love with some kind of hobby or activity that may or may not be related to their aspect. With Aradia, it was archaeology. Jane likes sleuthing. Porrim is a huge feminist. So the Maid of Time will definitely be interested in something history-related, or perhaps even begin as enamored with death as the resurrected Aradia is. Maybe her custodian has a morbid job, or something, and she got it from there. In any case, this passion isn't just a passion for the Maids. They are really freaking active. They don't just sit around and go, "Wow, archaeology is great." They get out there and dig. Which is awesome.

Unfortunately for the Maid, she won't be far into her journey before she hits an obstacle. A pretty big obstacle, usually, a job or duty that she'd rather avoid. With Time, this issue could be something like death, but could probably be less drastic. In any case, it's pretty certain that Time is going to start weighing on her in some way, in the form of voices or some kind of precognition--most Time players have some knack for this stuff. Even SBaHJ is considered prophetic by some. How she handles it will vary, but it's certain that some would break down eventually.

In the game, she'll have certain abilities prior to god-tiering, such as time travel. But the real reward will only come after her obstacle is face and her duty of sorts is understood--Maids are always full of purpose. God-tiering should hypothetically provide this purpose, but as something the Maid desires rather than rejects. She has to embrace her role and see it for its good points. I won't go into detail on the powers themselves because of Aradia. There aren't too many ways to interpret Time powers.

IN TERMS OF A SESSION

In terms of a session, the Knight of Blood, Witch of Mind, Sylph of Breath, and Maid of Time will certainly start out close. I mean, these titles are pretty good as far as teamwork goes. No Thieves or Bards or anything; those classes are consistently somewhat problematic.

But they've got no Space player. And though this will be the case for many of our hypothetical sessions, it seems, the circumstances will vary. Perhaps there's glitch. Maybe a forge exists, on an unused, abandoned fifth player land, inaccessible and protected by a hazy cushion of stuff that oozes and all. Let's go with that. They are doomed. This session part is just an extra experiment, anyway. Looking at plotlines and relationships and how things fall apart.

The Maid would have known it all from the start. She would have predicted it, seen it, heard it, feared it. But the others wouldn't, and you can imagine the Knight's anger when he/she realizes there's no point. (Let's call the Knight a her. We've got females up the wazoo, anyway. What's one more?) Their entire existence is a mistake, probably. Something went wrong. The Maid could have at least told her. Doesn't friendship mean anything, anymore?

She'll make the effort to tell everyone, but perhaps isn't listened to. She might try to distract herself with the things she falls back on--be they romcoms or another genre depicting relationships or society. But this society no longer exists! There's no point.

She's done everything for nothing. Yet chances are she's going to pick up the pieces she can and pretend not to care that her world has vanished without reason, because. Just because.

Meanwhile, the Sylph isn't going to be paying much attention! She'll be off on sidequests, distracted and offering vague encouragements. It's more likely than not that she'll also neglect to keep an eye on the Witch of Mind, who in this situation would be spinning further and further out of control. The consequences are certain, so who cares how they get there? Witches are an emotional bunch, usually, so she might lash out. Her guardian would inevitably perish in one way or another, and she knows she will, too. Go out with a bang, she thinks, and the mind games start.

The Witch will start to craft situations and outcomes for the hell of it, lying and manipulating just to see what happens. The Knight will try to reason with her out of desperation, but all the connections and bonds and relationships that make up her understanding of the universe are gone. All she can do is look out for herself, and it'll be this forsaking of the team identity and their unity that'll push the situation over the edge.

The Sylph would die first, anticlimactically and uselessly. By that point she would have understood the end was near, but she was scared and utterly spineless; a Sylph of Breath with more control of herself might have knocked her friends out of their fear and pushed them in a more optimistic direction, but the end is coming too quickly for these kids to think rationally. But the fact that they all know what's coming takes some of the pressure off the Maid, who tries to reason with the Witch. Multiple times. But it's fear driving the players now, and so the Maid falls just as the Sylph did--a byproduct of everything.

The Knight thinks the Witch is insane, now. It's just them and the universe and three dead planets, and she's becoming more and more scared. They meet twice, but the Knight is resignedly defending herself and frightening the Witch away whenever they cross paths.

The Witch feels terrible about everything, but she's angry. Everything reminds her of how she's screwed up and so has the universe. Don't blame her. Blame the universe. If you die it's just because you had it coming. The Maid and the Sylph had killed themselves by being stupid, she thinks. Yeah.

Meanwhile, the haze over the mysterious forge planet is expanding, suffocating, and the Witch realizes that there's a problem with the problem. Wasn't it supposed to be guarding the forge, waiting for a player that would never appear? But now it's flushing itself out, and maybe there is hope. She contacts the Knight, but it's too late. The Knight is gone.

The Witch wonders what happened. What she had done. It probably was her, wasn't it? Even if not directly.

It was all her. She had made her decisions, and it was time to face the consequences.

She would die alone, and it was all her fault.

---

Four down, over a hundred more to go!

That ending was too dramatic. But it was kind of fun. Maybe if I have time I'll take one of my session progression overview nonsense thingies and actually write a story to put somewhere. It's been a long time since I tried writing real fanfiction and all.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:28 pm

Time for my next batch! Who've we got?

1. Witch of Light
  2. Rogue of Heart
  3. Thief of Mind
  4. Mage of Doom
Okay. And the word of the session is nonsolvability. Just like the Witch of Mind was in the forefront (sort of) of the last (sort of) hypothetical session ramble, I'm thinking the Mage will be in the forefront here.

Also, two canons again. I swear I made that list random. Especially since I don't seem to have looked at it properly yet. I'm just looking... and hey! Nepeta and Sollux. Okay.

I keep thinking I'm going to make a 6/8/12 player group or something, but I looked ahead and I don't wanna. Overlapping classes and aspects is only useful when it makes things interesting. And I'm not getting that.

So.

WITCH OF LIGHT/ROGUE OF HEART/THIEF OF MIND/MAGE OF DOOM
THE NONSOLVABILITY SESSION
This one will be fun, too.
And hopefully won't be about a bunch of hypothetical people dying.
That's not usually how I roll.

So the Witch of Light is running the show here. Terrific.

PLAYER 1: WITCH OF LIGHT

I've described the Witch before and I've talked a whole lot about Light, but who cares I'll go over it again.

Basic characteristics of a Witch: Cheerfulness, optimism, spirited, guardian is usually pretty representative of aspect, has aspect-related interests, probably.
Basic interpretations of Light: Literal light, sight, fortune, knowledge, luck, symbolism, relevance.

Combining these, we get a player most likely raised to value knowledge and the meanings of things, possibly even fortune, too; I'm going to stay a little further away from fortune because we see a lot of that in canon and all. She'll love learning, as a studious sort of person, and will most certainly be rather lucky! Her guardian/lusus would be pretty powerful, affecting meanings without even trying, and possibly stifling the Witch's ability to learn. This is something the Witch should have learned to deal with, though; it probably wouldn't turn out well should a Witch's so-called familiar be completely in control.

Witches seem to be able to manipulate their aspect upon reaching the god tiers, and this one isn't going to be any exception. The more literal manifestations of a Witch of Light's powers might be little stuff like changing the amount of light in a room, or affecting an enemy's eyesight so that he/she/it would have trouble during battle. In addition, she'd be able to fool around with fortune, increasing or decreasing the luck possessed by others. Et cetera. It's really very self-explanatory.

When the Witch of Light arrives in her land, it's certainly going to be a well-illuminated place, complete with something like frost or glass. Example here is going to be Land of Stars and Pewter. It certainly sounds nice!

PLAYER 2: ROGUE OF HEART

People are always either giving Nepeta too much credit or giving her too little, it seems. But this, ironically, might fit in with her title, the Rogue of Heart.

Calliope has defined the Rogue in-canon as the passive form of the Thief: "one who steals." That's pretty self explanatory. You could fit this into her given Prince/Bard description, but I wouldn't know how accurate that would be; perhaps there's a reason she puts it the way she does! Anyway, by this reasoning, the Rogue of Heart would be one who passively steals Heart--an aspect tied to emotions, souls, the self, and (pawsibly?) shipping.

Nepeta provides an excellent example of how this title would manifest in a non-game context: She roleplays. Roleplaying is all about being someone other than yourself. She is stealing selves! This is especially evident when she and Equius purrtend (these cat puns are just flowing out) to be each other, redistributing the identities of those in the room. The Robin Hood of selves, truly.

This applies when it comes to her shipping wall. By shipping her friends with each other, she is to some extent taking their emotions and redistributing them. Not with any results, but it's the thought that counts.

A Rogue of Heart doesn't necessarily need to do this, of course. And a better Rogue of Heart might do more than ship--she'd make it happen! Even if unintentionally, that would be more productive and more understandably representative of the title than making a shipping wall.

A god-tiered Rogue of Heart would go beyond these things, though. Post-ascension powers might include such things as actually being able to move the essence of people around, or directly pull emotions out of others. Something like that. Basically taking everything he/she did before and making it more literal.

Land-wise, the canon Rogue of Heart has the Land of Little Cubes and Tea. This is a joke. (LOLCAT!) But, if you like, it can be broken down. It seems that the Rogue class generally means that simple figures and objects will be present--such as cubes and pyramids. Not quite Perfectly Generic Objects, but pretty damn close! Heart seems to be associated with the surreal and mind-addling; I've heard people suggest that coffee and minor drugs are the theme here. My above interpretation is just expanding on that--S___b is bound to run out of these after a while. The broader the better.

(A note, because I just remembered: Rogues' sessions have the tendency to possess a surplus of the Rogue in question's aspect. Too much, actually. So in this case, the Rogue of Heart is redistributing Heart within a session full of Heart to take it from--this is actually quite true in the case of the Alternian trolls! And it can also be argued that the Beforean trolls were allowed too much freedom, or something.)

PLAYER 3: THIEF OF MIND

Whoever this guy is, he/she has a lot of a potential. To fuck shit up, that is.

The Thief is basically a more selfish version of the Rogue as described before, taking their aspect away from others with gleeful abandon. Mind is about choices.

The Thief of Mind takes away your choices, and that's kind of a big deal!

(Note: You could put a humorous spin on this in an MSPA-style fan adventure or roleplay, I realize, by having the Thief ignore all commands. That would be fun. Hmm. Maybe, if I get around to it, I'll make a Thief of Mind character. Because these guys are actually pretty interesting. And just now I also realized that I like characters that screw things up. Because they're so fascinating, things that screw up. Does that say anything about me as a person? I mean. Um. Yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this.)

Prior to playing S___b, the Thief is bound to believe that he/she is lacking in his/her aspect. Certainly, this Thief of Mind will feel that, most of the time, he/she has little control, unable to make his/her own decisions. He/she might also have a tendency to call him/herself stupid. But the thing is, Thieves' perceived problems are mostly in their heads! Most of the time, a different perspective would've been all it took to get the Thieves to see how their aspects were present in at least normal supply the entire time.

This ties into how the Thieves use their powers. Once into the game, the Thief of Mind is going to ecstatic about his/her powers and the flexibility and control that comes with all the decisions and outcomes he/she's stolen from everyone. Upon maturing, though, he/she should realize that there's more to it than that. Instead of grabbing randomly at everything, he/she should take choices depending on the circumstances, when making the decision him/herself would benefit the team. Not just because he/she wants to be in control, making ALL THE DECISIONS (all of them). And hopefully by the end, he/she should realize that the power to choose and determine a conclusion was present all along or some sappy silly stuff like that. I'm not saying he/she should give up his/her powers, though, and he/she wouldn't; I'm just saying that eventually the Thief should be able to recognize that they're okay without having to take from those who don't deserve it.

The Thief of Mind's land is going to be an interesting place. Mind will provide the land with Mind-related scenery (neuron-esque patterns, anyone?), as well as something to do with choices or thoughts or that kind of thing. His/her class provides the presence of the desirable (to the Thief), such as treasure in the case of Vriska. Or maybe it's just riches in general. It's hard to tell, even if the Beforean trolls' lands are given. Because Meenah loves money. Maybe that's a Thief thing, too, not wanting to be poor or (perhaps) at any disadvantage. So in this case one might encounter a Land of Sparks and Gold, which is another pretty image.

I'm going to take a little break from blabbering about this now, but I'll be back with the Mage of Doom and some session impressions and all. Soon. I can't keep away.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by TheChaotic1 Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 am

Hey, I don't wanna derail you, but did you notice both of the canon pages have imaginary friends?
TheChaotic1
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

That's interesting! I hadn't considered that! Oh, Pages. I adore their character arcs.

(Wait, Horuss doesn't quite work! Maybe? But then again, it's Horuss, and it's also Void, so he's kind of a weird case, you know? Oh, whatever. He doesn't count.)

Anyway, I'm behind, so it's time for...

PLAYER 4: MAGE OF DOO-

Aw wait no not yet I'm not done dammit. I've been working on the classpect archive project as pioneered and kind of overseen by sentientSound, but the stupid list isn't done yet. It's most unfortunate! Because I think it has plenty of potential to be useful, once I'm done with the main stuff. You know, the canon classes/aspects. Fan stuff will be tacked on as I go. BUT HERE IT IS!

Just putting that here. That's right. I'm a shameless self-advocate advertising person thing. Seriously, though, I fully intend for the finished product to be really helpful, one way or another. Especially since people usually have questions regarding these titles.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 pm

PLAYER 4: MAGE OF DOOM

So there's this guy Sollux, you know? He's pretty cool. He's also the Mage of Doom, and an all-around mysterious figure. What's a Mage? What's Doom? What's up with the psionics? The doubles?

Which part is the title and which is just Sollux?

Okay, that might be me asking myself a trick question. It's complicated. A character shouldn't be defined by their title, and their title isn't defined by them. 

But we can try to guess what we can!

Mages tend to recognize an abundance of their aspect from the start, and the corresponding potential. This understanding is typically used, I think, to provide and guide, especially if you're on board with -Mage/Seer+! Which I'm not. Not really. I'm withholding judgment when it comes to Mages. I like to have more evidence.

In any case, we can probably assume a little more about Doom, especially since I've got a lot of theories on its supposed opposite (Life) to go off of. Doom is about sacrifice, loss, structure, and process. Among other things, of course, but that should be most of it.

So whoever this guy is, he/she's not going to feel too optimistic about life in general. Rather, he/she'll most likely be seeing a lot of bad things to come, be it a result of psychic troll powers or just a hunch. I mean, to him/her, cheerfulness is just stupid. Because that would be ignorance.

Anyway, the Mage is going to have a couple interests related to Doom, such as programming. You know, like Sollux. And he/she's going to be good at it, too, unlike the wistful enthusiasm of the Page. The Mage of Doom doesn't just sit around and talk about his/her interests! This character goes out and gets things done.

This proneness to activity will have him/her probably going around trying to warn others about impending doom, too. Mages aren't the type to avoid spreading the news around.

In the game, the Mage isn't going to display much of any game-related power prior to god tiering. But post-ascension powers, due to how little we've seen, could include anything from enhanced visions and intuition to magicky blasty spell things, depending on how you see class pairings and all that.

And, lastly, the land. I don't know much about this, either, except for the fact that the canon Mage of Doom has the fascinating Land of Brains and Fire, meaning a combination of an elemental thing and a strange, biological one. It'll be more abstract than most, certainly. But I still feel like I hardly know a thing about the Mage of Doom, and that's really frustrating!

That's all I have now I have to go it's work time.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by TheChaotic1 Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:43 pm

To sort of continue the Page talk, Horuss could have a Muse, we don't know much about him yet so he could be hiding it.
TheChaotic1
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:01 pm

Quite right! And Horuss is a weird case, anyway, considering how he's both a Void player and an Alpha troll. Not exactly easy to work with, and probably not good to, either!

Perhaps these imaginary friends give Pages a false sense of progression? Like how Jake insists he believes to Brain Ghost Dirk, and how Tavros is attempting to work on his self-confidence by creating Rufio? But in the end, Jake didn't really believe until he was forced to, and it was long after Rufio before Tavros finally put his foot down. It took the poor guy 'till the dreambubbles before he really decided that he was done with Vriska. And he flew!

Personally, I think that was good for Vriska, too. They both needed it. Tavros needed to leave, and Vriska needed to be left.
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by TheChaotic1 Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:04 pm

Fun fact, Horuss dated rufioh, who tavros' imaginary friend was based on.

Perhaps Horuss deluded himself into thinking it was true love
TheChaotic1
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Ah, but Rufioh was far from imaginary! But maybe... Horuss wasn't dating Rufioh as he was, he was dating the Rufioh he believed was real!

So many possibilities!
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by maieuticEpimenides Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:25 pm

It's been a while, but I'm back! Hopefully.

I've decided to stop the session descriptions for now. There's just never any time and I'd like to keep moving, even if it's been quite a bit.

It's time for numbers 9-12! Official heading coming right up.

PRINCE OF DOOM/THIEF OF RAGE/MAID OF BREATH/BARD OF VOID
THE PREADEQUACY SESSION
HIATUS IS COMING TO A HALT, I SAY
ALSO, THIS IS THE FIRST GROUP WITHOUT ANY CANON TITLES, SO YAY

We begin with the Prince, which comes with the bonus of exploring this title in conjunction with a leadership role! Wait, I forgot. Official headings.

PLAYER 1: THE PRINCE OF DOOM

This is one of the most ominous-sounding titles out there, and I think it'd probably carry over to the player himself.

But frankly, Princes have weird relationships with their aspects, and it's not going to be that simple. Well, technically, nothing is ever as simple as "Princes are destroyers" and "Doooom," but I digress. Basically, Princes have trouble finding a happy medium when it comes to amounts of aspect representations. Take Eridan, the Prince of Hope. (Hope is related to belief, possibility, and--most importantly--maybe reproduction/genitals. I'll go discuss that later if I have time.) He's got a lot of dreams, a lot of hopes, especially when it comes to his flushed and black quadrants (those associated with reproduction, I must note!). But it's too much, and that's what brings him down. For Princes, it's the surplus that causes the lack. They get overwhelmed by their aspect, delude themselves, and end up being somewhat self-destructive. Such is the downfall of many a Prince, as we've seen in the comic. But, of course, the successful Prince would seek to overcome the suffocating excess through some amount of reassessment and understanding of moderation. Something like that.

Doom is pretty interesting, and it's basically what I just said before in my summary of the Mage of Doom: sacrifice, loss, decay, limitation, rules, systems, et cetera, et cetera. It's really a pity we haven't got any human examples of it, though; the Captors are hardly good jumping-off points, what with the bifurcation situation and troll powers.

Putting it all together, the Prince of Doom is one who destroys Doom, or causes destruction through Doom, notably in himself as well as others. He's not going to be a happy person, probably; it's the sort of title you'd grant to a player that's been through a lot of tough stuff. He'll feel restricted, maybe, and that's probably what might push him to pursue leadership. Doom will surround him, and in a struggle to break free he might wind up pushing himself too far. The Prince has to understand the value of his aspect in moderation, you see. It's a complicated thing to work out, and that's probably why most of the canon Princes tend to struggle. (Inversion theory also dictates that the Prince of Doom inverts to the Sylph of Life. Make of that what you will.)

As of now, I don't know of Princes exhibiting any powers like the Heir prior to the god tiers, but Eridan's science wwand and Dirk's katana suggest that the Prince's weapon features heavily in combat. Even if the action itself doesn't directly involve the weapon, it's a crutch for them, almost. Training wheels? I'm not sure. All I know is that the allocation of the strife specibus is a bit more important for Princes in general. Probably.

In regards to land tendencies, I'd say that Princes are weird. There's always that association with aspect, but this is what we've got: Canon Princes so far have had the Land of Wrath and Angels and the Land of Tombs and Krypton. Sollux's land is the only Doom land: the Land of Brains and Fire. Now, I've heard one particular theory which suggests that Princes' lands tend to be populated with moral flaws (Wrath) and Doom players' with... important organs. Maybe. (I'm thinking the Alpha kids' lands were overlooked because of the entire void session situation and the noble gas thing. Because it's void, they're not heroes--they're nobles! Land of Crypts and Helium, Land of Pyramids and Neon, Land of Tombs and Krypton, Land of Mounds and Xenon. And it seems that the aspect noun spot was filled by these gases, probably since a player is typically referred to as the Hero of [Aspect] rather than Hero of [Class], because the latter would be kind of stupid. But I'm getting off topic again. Whoops.) Personally, I'd have to admit I haven't got a single clue for this one, but I'll try to come up with something. Land of Lungs and Breaches, anyone? (Aw, who'm I kidding that sucks.)

Yeah, so that's it for the Prince of Doom! Wow, I spent way too much time on that. And now I have to go. Yup.

(I'm going to be right back to talk about Hope and stuff, though.)
maieuticEpimenides
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2