HomeSearchMemberlistUsergroupsGalleryRulesFAQLog inChatboxRegisterCalendar
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» A modest proposal (up to 5 other players)
by excitableBunny Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm

» Introductions
by Derpy Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:05 pm

» hello new blood! welcome to uhhh... yeah!
by Derpy Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 pm

» int,roduction threadadadad
by Derpy Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 pm

» James Turner
by BurdenKing Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:23 pm

» Arborr Woodie ((big fin?))
by BurdenKing Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:22 pm

» RP art shit
by aestheticAvenger Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:03 pm

» Post Cannon Victory RP
by friendlyJoker Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:56 pm

» St Valensprites
by zoraroastedCoffee Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:41 pm

» Another session, perhaps? ((the BIG CANCEL))
by Derpy Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:33 am

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 80 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Share | 

Classes and such

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sentientSound
Anklebiter

Sagittarius Posts : 114
Boondollars : 9230
Location : Land of Mist and Glow | Land of Malice and Colosseums

PostSubject: Classes and such   Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:06 am

I wonder if this falls under this category. Ah well.

Well. We have canon and non canon classes and aspects, so maybe we should put together a detailed archive as well as a template for creating classes and aspects. I mean I'm writing a manga with my cousin and there are roughly thirty elements that can constitute as aspects. And maybe we can expand on the royal and wyld classes. Tell me what you think.

~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~₪~
Silan Jester -GAMMA SESSION- || {color=#99ffff}{/color}
Areus Pravus -NONWORKING- || {color=#ffffff}{/color}
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

Leo Posts : 384
Boondollars : 9512

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:11 pm

I don't know about the category you've placed this in, but your idea sounds cool! Classpects are my thing. I love them titles. But I think you could probably tell that much. I think?

In any case, I'd be very very very interested in this project-type thing. Can I make a pretty colored list? This sounds like another thing that needs a pretty colored Google doc, does it not? I'm getting off topic, though.

I really want to say this about fan classes, but more for fan aspects: The canon aspects and classes are very broad. They cover a lot of areas, and although there's some overlap, each brings something specific and different and new to the table. Fan classes/aspects should do the same! For example, I've seen "Soul" used as a fan aspect, sometimes, which makes absolutely no sense at all! It's been specifically stated that Heart can be equated to soul. An aspect of Soul would only be redundant, and kind of silly--Heart encompasses both the soul and more!

Just wanted to say that, since this seems to be related to that kind of thing.

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Is this a place to put oc classes and aspects here?
Back to top Go down
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Apparently we're compiling a thing. An archive?

So I think the answer would be yes. But I'm not exactly the one to say.

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:15 am

I'm right to assume you don't mind me calling you aradia? It just comes off much easier. But yes, you can be the listmaker. It is you. XD

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I fully welcome being referred to as Aradia, if that's what comes most naturally to you! I mean. I'm 0kay with it.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do regarding a big impressive list of classes/aspects. Yeah. It'll be the GREATEST CLASSPECT REFERENCE DOCUMENT THING OF ALL TIME, OR AT LEAST ACCORDING TO ME. And I'll go and look up some of the fan classes and stuff. Those beg for discussion, you know.

I shall report back when possible!

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:36 am

A BIG thanks to ArchiveOurOwn's Xalrath for putting this detailed archive together. I really hope he/she doesn't mind our use of it.

Terminology:

Classes:

OMG, spoilers on top of spoilers on top of spoilers. This ish is str8^ rotten XD. Side note, the musicians are neither here nor there with Class tierings. They aren't Royalty, but they aren't necessarily Wyld either. See what you can do with those, Aradia. Please and thank you. Also we gotta make the Seer class with stats and all. Xalrath hasn't made the post and either he/she forgot or is just gathering intel.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
goldenCrown
Sepulchritude

Boondollars : 10851
Location : Land of Rain and Trees/Land of Water and Silence/Land of Crystal and Shadowed Frogs/Land of Gust and Glow/Land of Clocks and Bubbles
My Pet : karkat llama
My /Other/ Pet : actual baby dragon

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:35 pm

I just read most of those and apparently two of the classpects of my OCs fall in the "bad" category. XD But also, one in the "broken" category so I guess it evens out. By the way, I would be more than happy to help with this if you needed me to. :D

OCs:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Okay, y'all! I've been working on this, I swear. In between schoolwork. Anyway, you guys had better believe I've read Xalrath's Sburb Character Creation Guide. And yeah, it's pretty good. My one problem has always been that it's just a really good hypothetical Sburb-as-game piece of loveliness, not an actual document of classpect theory. I mean, it's terribly unhelpful in the way of working with individual characters, which is what I like to do. I'm trying to work on something that would be more practical and useful in this roleplay forum context at the moment. 

Also, Heirs are hardly mandatory--if anything's mandatory, it'd be the Knight, as well as Space and Time for aspects. So I disagree there. And also with Xalrath's Prospit/Derse stuff; that's a lot more complicated than simple class affinities.

But mostly the problem is that these guides are about playing Sburb in a more removed sense. Still! They're still good. Have you checked out the Sburb Glitch FAQ and The Game, and Those Who Play? You have to look at those. They're mandatory reading. Well, you can just skim them. Get the general picture.

AND ONE LAST THING: This is the unfinished version of the document I've been working on. I'll be working on it regularly, I hope. I'm basically explaining what I can, then dumping a bunch of useful links at the bottom that do the job better than I ever could. Xalrath's stuff is in there, as well as the stuff from this forum, plus lots and lots more. And the list will grow!

So will the rest of the document, of course. I'm up to the Witch, you see. Six classes and twelve aspects to go!

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am

I'm not totally sided with Xalrath either. Its good, it's very good. But not too many things are mandatory in sburb. But would like to use his/her "guide" as a template for creating classes. It's really detailed and well written. Also, I'm thinking we should divide the aspects into Elemental and Auxiliary categories.

EDIT: Great list. Though I'm thinking a lot of the fan aspects are going to be thinned out in the list making. We need to weed out aspect similarities and all. I hope people actually use it and all. I'll give you names and descriptions of aspects I created later on, after I find out which ones are already a thing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Yes, of course. The fan aspect designs were just filler. Because they're pretty.

I worry about categories. Also, Elemental and Auxiliary? That makes it sound like "elements" are the priority, and although I don't know how elements are being defined, that makes me worry. All aspects are big in S___b. Space and Time for obvious reasons. Light/Void are very much like Prospit/Derse. Heart and Mind provide an opposite to the Space/Time combo--individual vs. what surrounds, essentially. And S___b is very big on individual players, but the bonds and teamwork as well (Blood/Breath). (WV is Blood-y, you know. And PM is evocative of Breath. That's interesting, don't you think?) Rage and Hope are unbelievably powerful forces. Life and Doom are linked closely to the system of the game itself and all that. I could go into more depth, of course, but I'll leave it there.

I'd hesitate to use the Character Creation Guide template as our template. Because:
1) No aspects are necessarily good or bad. Titles are about characters, you know, and everything is situational.
2) It's about S___b in an entirely different context! I can't get over that.
3) Because of reason 2, it doesn't provide the information I like to know about character arcs and tendencies, going instead with stuff like preferred alignment, which I don't think exists. For reasons explained in my list. But that's because I'm always about the characters, and Xalrath is writing all about a game. That's kind of a recurring theme, though. Hmm.
4. I want to make one myself. I'm selfish like that.

Here's my current idea for new aspects and classes, based off my canon structure.

CLASS TEMPLATE DRAFT:

ASPECT TEMPLATE DRAFT:

I don't know, though. You could go with Xalrath's structure. Either way works, probably.

And another last note: I want to come up with general guidelines for the classes and aspects we include. Are we going to stick to the one syllable requirement across the board? No master classes? Should everything be submitted in pairs? (That last one makes everything good and even. I want to have that. Except that might annoy people.) No huge overlaps like Soul with Heart? (I think that one's obvious.)

But the question is, what if we want to include someone else's fan class or aspect, but we don't have the information? If they haven't come up with it, do we make our own suggestions? That's probably the easiest (aside from just leaving fields blank altogether).

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:04 pm

I understand where you're coming from on this. I'd have made my own template, but I'm lazy. So we'll roll with yours. Regarding categories, I only said auxiliary for lack of a better word. Elemental for obvious reasons. When I'm not lazy, I suppose I'll be transplanting my attributes into aspect-y form.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:33 pm

I think I'm going to put a new, separate section for various ways to group classes and aspects in the list! I noticed that the Royal/Musician/Wyld structure is similar to the Royal and Fae court theories, I've read of, too, so that's interesting. Bard is usually put into the Royal Court, I believe. In any case, I tried to come up with a system to organize the aspects, despite the fact that I find it difficult to do as much!

Basically, I made four groups of three, which can be changed to to if you like. I'm very much a splitter rather than a lumper. Anyway, I'd consider there to be two main categories, which I'd call External and Internal. Internal-type aspects focus on the players and their beliefs, feelings, thought processes, etc. External-type aspects focus on the surroundings and the system. I included the additional characteristic of Primary/Secondary based on how much the aspect was "pure" Internal/External.

I laid it out like so:

PRIMARY EXTERNAL: TIME, SPACE, VOID
PRIMARY INTERNAL: HEART, MIND, LIGHT
SECONDARY EXTERNAL: LIFE, DOOM, BREATH
SECONDARY INTERNAL: HOPE, RAGE, BLOOD

But I shall be collecting more systems of aspect and class organization! I want all the systems. All of them.

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheChaotic1
Sepulchritude

Gemini Posts : 1329
Boondollars : 13610
My Pet : Blue Dragon Hatchling
My /Other/ Pet : EYES

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:17 pm

Hmm, this should really be moved to headcanons...

I'm gonna post this here, and then ask an admin in a while to move it, so yald have a chance so see its moved

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Yes, that's probably a good idea. I was wondering about that.

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:31 am

I had it in the wrong category anyway. Silly me. But you are on to something with the In/External grouping system and all. About this bards dilemma, yes I'm calling it a dilemma, I remember reading somewhere that bards are a sort of bridge between the Royal and Wyld classes. I'd be willing to put a whole boonbuck down and say that the "musicians", e.g. Bard/Voice, are neither here nor there, so I gave them their own title. It's less like a class category and more like how Pages/Maids are referred to as servants.

This thing about Mages, I would suppose they are primarily oracles, like Seers, but they differ in the respect that Mages can usually use their aspect in battle. Or at least I've theorized such. I know that the voices of the infinitely deceased or however Hussie referred to them were Sollux's visions of doom. His heightened piioniic ability could possibly be perceived as the battle extent of a Mage's power. This is all theory, you're welcome to agree or disagree. And quite frankly, I don't really know if any of this syncs up like I'm putting it. I have a rather strange thought process. There are sure to be holes, but I guess I'll patch them up when I start to space out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:49 pm

The thing about the Musicians is that they make it all so uneven. And Bards were typically employed by noblemen and monarchs, that sort of thing (oh hey they worked for LORDS!). And we have missing classes. So the Royal/Wyld/Musician needs a little bit of work, maybe?

Classes are even harder to organize than aspects, but the Royal and Fae court system is the best general grouping method I've seen so far. Basically:

The ROYAL court is comprised of the Prince, Bard, Heir, Knight, Maid, Page, and Lord.
The FAE court is comprised of the Witch, Sylph, Seer, Mage, Thief, Rogue, and Muse.

That's if you're keeping everything even, of course! Some have the Rogue in the Royal court and the Thief in Fae and whatever. I just like evenness.

Also, though Maids have lots of serving themes, Pages don't. That was always my problem with -Maid/Page+. It's why people used to think that Bard/Seer or Seer/Bard was a thing. Just because they might be similar when you take the titles for what they "really mean" in the "real world" doesn't mean the classes act similarly. And the Maid and Page have really not been shown to act too similarly.

And Sollux's psiioniics are a troll thing. A Captor thing. A human Mage of Doom probably wouldn't do anything like that. And -Mage/Seer+ was always a pairing I'm on the fence about. A lot of people just accept it because "Sollux heard voices" and "Meulin was totally using Mage powers to learn that Meenah was following Karkat around." Which is silly. Aradia heard voices, too, and she's a Maid. Are we going to pair -Maid/Seer+ now, because of that and the fact that Aradia seems to know a lot? I mean, we could. But that's not an argument. We need more evidence (which you could find, maybe, but I'm not going to try!). All I'm saying is that -Mage/Seer+ is starting to bug me a little bit! Erk. The -Knight/Seer+ people have much better arguments, last I checked. But then again, I should check again.

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:06 am

Yeah, I've just been theorizing myself with what information I have due to lack of local interweb connection. I'll still be... eeehh- with class connections, but I'm hoping I have aspects down. I'll be theorizing those in a bit.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Okay, then!

I was trying to whip up little diagrams for the different systems of categorization, because it's fun. Might not be good to put in the final list, though. They're all kind of overkill.

Royal/Fae Courts:

My aspect thing:

Royal/Wyld:

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:53 am

Lets run the royal/fae courts. They make more sense. Maybe more sense than how Hussie set up the Royal/Wyld Classes. I have some notes about Breath, but I have to find them. They're at home, or in my "diary"... I forget. I may start theorizing on either Time or Doom next. I might want to get Time out of the way because of all of the temporal shenanigans this aspect so readily employs. I could get a headache if I'm not ready.

EDIT: Breath:
Also defined as air, wind, "the breeze,; so why dud Hussie put it down as Breath? If I'm right, then it isn't just aesthetics that spearheaded the title. I've only seen John use Breath externally, but there may be a way of using it internally. John is also an Heir, meaning he knows, protects, is protected by, and does battle through his aspect; which is why he's only been seen using it externally. Take a Mage of Breath for instance. One who has visions of Breath. First, lets figure out what a "vision of Breath" is. A vision of Breath would be seeing how it would change in the future. This can vary from seing changes in the paths of winds to being alerted to the existence of a being able to "extinguish Breath", and this is where Mages of Breath and Life overlap, as some titles are bound to do. Like Thief of Life, Knght of Rage and Heir of Blood. All heavy attackers. Breath isn't just an external aspect, it's just that it's internal qualities are very similar to that of Life, and internal aspect. So Breath draws it's name from it's internal likeness to Life, although it is most prominently and external element. I'd recommend it for Heirs, Knights, Witches, Thieves, Princes, Lords, and Muses. That's all have on me for now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:35 am

topic bunp.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
maieuticEpimenides
Lodestar Youth

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:56 pm

In regards to Breath: Words like breeze/air/wind are a) very elemental in nature, which I imagine Hussie may have wanted to avoid (because elements. Seriously) and b) the word breath carries more weight, in a way. It's related to air and all that, but it ties into respiration and life force and the body, similar to blood. And Breath and Blood are generally considered paired aspects. So that's a connection I would believe to be intentional!

Interpretations of Breath I've noticed include: Wind, air, freedom, respiration, movement, change, redirection, and independence. I personally hesitate to call Mages active Seers, but supposing that's true, a Mage of Breath would be a player driven by and directing with premonitions regarding individual paths, providing new directions and probably doing some big freedom movement stuff.

I added categories and a few more class descriptions to the list, by the way. (The scalemate in my signature has become the link, because scalemates are cool. At some point this scalemate might become a link to the list o' lists, but yeah. Right now it's the Classpect Archive.) Expect more to be added later today!

Characters:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
sentientSound
Anklebiter

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:46 am

That was much more detailed than mine. But, in hopes that I get the hang of this, I will continue theorizing the aspects. Feel free to correct me any time.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classes and such   

Back to top Go down

Classes and such
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Homestuck RP  :: Archives :: Archives-